This white sauce, also known as Béchamel sauce, is one of France’s four “mother sauces,” and it’s a perfect complement to many dishes. Pair it with vegetables, turn it into a creamy casserole or ladle it over seafood or sliced chicken. The best white sauce recipe.
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon pepper
- 1cup milk
In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- There are few more essential recipes in an accomplished cook’s repertoire than a basic white sauce. Called a béchamel in France, it’s the start of any number of recipes, from a cheesy mac ‘n cheese to a creamy chicken pot pie.
- Use a thick cheese sauce stirred up with hot cooked macaroni, poured over toasted tortilla chips for a homemade nacho platter, or spooned over simple omelets.
- Stir the butter and flour together with a wooden spoon or wire whisk. Stir constantly as you pour in the milk so no lumps form, but if there seems to be a few once the sauce thickens, strain the sauce through a wire-mesh sieve.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill and dash of ground nutmeg with the flour; continue steps to make a sauce that is delicious served with fish.
- To make an irresistible cheese sauce, start with making the white sauce with a 1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard added to the flour. Once the sauce is thickened, stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese—try a sharp Cheddar or a nutty fontina—until melted.
Tags: best white sauce, how to make white sauce, easy white sauce recipe, best easy recipe for white sauce, white sauce, homemade white sauce
The Best white Sauce Recipe